Thursday, June 17, 2010

Denver: August 7th, 2010 -- Lighting in Layers Seminar (Sold Out)

UPDATE: The Denver seminar is sold out.
__________


This August, we are headed to Denver for a "Mile High Club" edition of Strobist, so to speak. It is a one-day seminar, after which I am heading to the mountains with the family for some much-needed R&R. It will be held Saturday, August 7th.

This seminar, Lighting in Layers, is designed to dig down deeper on what I feel is the most important control lever in flash photography -- balance. Whether the end product is simple or complex, we'll break down lighting into a series of logical steps to build your final look one easy variable at a time.


Format

The morning will be spent in lecture with supporting visuals. We'll take a few minutes at first to go over the basic principles of balancing exposure so we leave no one behind, and then dig deeper as the day goes on.

We'll break for lunch close to midday, at a logical stopping point. There are many food choices within an easy walk of the seminar location, as we are on the 16th St. Pedestrian Mall.

After lunch, we'll do a complete walk-thru of an actual editorial assignment, with problems popping up onscreen just like they did in my camera. I have included every frame in which a change (lighting or otherwise) was made, and also the how and why behind the changes.

Things do not always go well for me, and I think that is important to show. It is the ability to solve problems that matters. That said, there is generally at least one solution for any problem and it is the thought process that matters.

After the assignment walk-thru we'll switch to demo mode, doing a series of shoots as time allows. Feel free to bring a camera if you want to record setups for reference.

And speaking of that, all of the material from the screen presentation will be available for download afterwards. You may want to take notes, but having to scribble down something that is already onscreen is ridiculous and redundant. And this way, you'll have the onscreen pics for later reference, too.

Class size will be limited, to promote interaction and discussion. That is my favorite part of the seminars, and I never fail to learn something of value at each session.


Details

Location: The Westin Tabor Center, 1672 Lawrence St., Denver, CO. (Pictured up top).

Here's a Google map:


View Larger Map (Opens in new window.)
__________

Doors will open at 9:00am, and we will hit the ground running at 9:30, with or without you. Lunch time will be a little variable, as detailed above. Lots of food within an easy walk -- on your own for lunch.

We'll wrap around 5:00pm. My plan at this point is to head down to the hotel's watering hole for an hour or so in which to be happy afterwards. Call it a happy hour, I guess.


Registration

The price for the seminar is $159.99, and you can register via PayPal. You do not have to be a PayPal member to register, but you will have to have a credit card.

Standard disclaimer: I have every intention of being there -- plane tix, hotel room and conference room are already bought. But if for some reason beyond my control I cannot make it, refunds will be limited to the ticket price. Just sayin'.

You can register for the Lighting in Layers seminar via PayPal secure link here (The seminar is sold out.) Please bring either your ID and the email address under which you registered or (better yet) a printout of your PayPal receipt to the seminar.

Please bookmark this page for additional updates, should they become necessary.

Lastly, I look forward to seeing you guys. I love Denver and The Rocky Mountains, and I am excited to be headed out.

__________

Strobist's 1,000+ articles are now alphabetically indexed.
On Twitter? Follow Strobist or Spread the Love. (Thanks!)
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos

17 Comments:

Anonymous Dave said...

There are many better watering holes downtown than the one in the hotel... ;)
Just sayin'.

June 18, 2010 at 11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many will be allowed to register for this seminar?

June 18, 2010 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger David Hobby said...

@Ano-

Max of 50 people. Over the last few years, I have found that to be an ideal number for developing a day-long conversation.

My goal is to have enough people to have diversity of thought and opinion, yet not so many that people do not feel comfy asking Q's all day as we go.

-D

June 19, 2010 at 1:51 PM  
Blogger David Hobby said...

@Dave-

True, but logistics come into play. I'll be pretty whupped (thus the ~1-hr time frame for me) but I assume other class members will probably head out to more favorite local haunts after.

-D

June 19, 2010 at 1:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Look forward to seeing you, Dave. Got Kelby, McNally, and you out to Denver. Now if we can just get Jarvis and Arias to come back out...

June 19, 2010 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger P. Coppinger said...

Just signed up! Thanks for coming out to Denver! This is the best (and my first) Father's Day present ever!

Again, I'm a long-time lurker but have figured I need to put my money where my clicks are.


-Patrick

June 20, 2010 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger Jason Anderson said...

Do my eyes deceive me? The Strobist is coming to Denver? Hoo Wah! Looking forward to hosting you here in the Mile High City!

June 21, 2010 at 8:10 AM  
Blogger Fortuitous Photography said...

Of course...the ONE week I'm out of town during the summer is the same that Strobist comes to my town. Oh the FATES!! :(

June 21, 2010 at 8:59 AM  
Blogger David Hobby said...

@Junmo-

Chase, maybe. But Zarias' restraining order precludes Denver and/or any Taco Bell restaurant after sundown. Don't ask.

June 21, 2010 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger John Swanson said...

PM David: I hope I'll be able to make it "down" to Denver - If I can assist you and your family if you're headed towards the Glenwood Springs /Aspen area, or if you and you son would like to take a drift boat ride down the Roaring Fork River, I'd be happy to oblige.

June 22, 2010 at 9:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you are looking for places to drive up in the mountains check out traildamage.com. Lists a lot of mountain jeep trails from flat to crazy. Gives a rating on the road, pictures of it and topos also. Use it a lot when planning to go in the mountains.

July 4, 2010 at 1:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey David,

Our studio is only about a mile from there. Feel free to hit us up if you need to borrow anything (gear-wise or recommendation-wise).

Ryan
Creative Director
Fenix Fotography
www.fenixfoto.com

July 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger David Hobby said...

@Jeff and @Fenix-

Thanks for the info and offer. Much appreciated!

July 7, 2010 at 6:46 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Denver: you're in for a great seminar. David did a excellent job for us in Portland yesterday. Enjoy!

July 26, 2010 at 4:13 PM  
Blogger P. Coppinger said...

@Jim: Excellent! I'm pumped that David is coming out here next weekend!

July 30, 2010 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger diegonyc said...

Hey David,

Any plans for a bay area invasion? SF baby!

August 4, 2010 at 5:16 AM  
Blogger P. Coppinger said...

Thanks, Dave for such a great class. Sorry I had to head out a little before you finished, I had to meet my wife. It was a great course. I can't wait to use the techniques.

Patrick Coppinger

August 9, 2010 at 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home