Monday, June 7, 2010

Lighting Workshop: Portland, OR, 7/25 (Sold Out)

NOTE: The 7/25 Portland Seminar is now sold out.
__________


I'm heading to one of my favorite cities -- Portland, Oregon -- for a shoot and to connect with family and friends. I have left Sunday, July 25th, open for a one-day lighting workshop.

This seminar, Lighting in Layers, is designed to dig down deeper on what I feel is the most important control lever in flash photography -- balance. Whether the end product is simple or complex, we'll break down lighting into a series of logical steps to build your final look one easy variable at a time.


Format

The morning will be spent in lecture with supporting visuals. We'll take a few minutes at first to go over the basic principles of balancing exposure so we leave no one behind, and then dig deeper as the day goes on.

We'll break for lunch close to midday, at a logical stopping point. There are many food choices within an easy walk of the seminar location.

After lunch, we'll do a complete walk-thru of an editorial assignment, with problems popping up onscreen just like they did in my camera. I have included every frame in which a change (lighting or otherwise) was made, and also the how and why behind the changes.

Things do not always go well for me, and I think that is important to show. It is the ability to solve problems that matters. That said, there is generally at least one solution for any problem and it is the thought process that matters.

After the assignment walk-thru we'll switch to demo mode, doing a series of shoots as time allows. Feel free to bring a camera if you want to record setups for reference.

And speaking of that, all of the material from the screen presentation will be available for download afterwards. You may want to take notes, but shaving to scribble down something that is already onscreen is ridiculous and redundant. And this way, you'll have the onscreen pics for later reference, too.

Class size will be limited, to promote interaction and discussion. That is my favorite part of the seminars, and I never fail to learn something of value at each session.


Details

Location: The Embassy Suites Hotel, Portland Downtown, at 319 SW Pine St (pictured up top).

Location-wise, we chose it in part for easy public transport should you not want to pay to park. It is two blocks from a MAX Lightrail stop and one block from the Public Transit Mall.

Here's a Google map:


View Larger Map (Opens in new window.)
__________

Doors will open at 9:00am, and we will hit the ground running at 9:30, with or without you. Lunch time will be a little variable, as described above.

We'll wrap around 4:30pm, as there is another group scheduled for the room in the evening. My plan at this point is to head down to the hotel's watering hole for an hour or so in which to be happy afterwards. Call it a happy hour, I guess.


Registration

The price for the seminar is $159.95, and you can register via PayPal. You do not have to be a PayPal member to register, but you will have to have a credit card.

Standard disclaimer: I have every intention of being there -- plane tix, hotel room and conference room already bought. But if for some reason beyond my control I cannot make it, refunds will be limited to the ticket price. Just sayin'.

You can register for the Lighting in Layers seminar via PayPal secure link here. (This seminar is now sold out.) Please bring either ID and the email address under which you registered or (better yet) a printout of your PayPal receipt to the seminar.

Please bookmark this page for additional updates, should they become necessary.

Lastly, I look forward to seeing and meeting you in Portland. I know that the city has a vibrant photo community, and I am excited to be headed out there.

__________

Strobist's 1,000+ articles are now alphabetically indexed.
On Twitter? Follow Strobist or Spread the Love. (Thanks!)
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos

37 Comments:

Anonymous Les Doerfler said...

Don't forget the love for the hometown fans in the DC area. I'd love to see this repeated somewhere, say Columbia MD maybe.

June 7, 2010 at 12:37 PM  
Blogger David Hobby said...

I am planning to be home all fall this year for a large project -- probably will work something in for that time frame...


:)

June 7, 2010 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger Levy Carneiro Jr. said...

Hello David,

have you got requests for a Strobist Seminar in Brazil? Count me in for a seminar here :)

June 7, 2010 at 12:45 PM  
Anonymous David said...

I was at the Lighting In Layers in London last month, it was awesome! Definitely head to this if you're around.

June 7, 2010 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger heyheyjk said...

Oh, yeah. Just signed up and PayPal'd. See you in July! Should I bring Voodoo Donuts??

June 7, 2010 at 7:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've got a wedding rehearsal that same day that is almost exactly the same hours. Damn my friends.

June 8, 2010 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger Wink of an eye Digital said...

Dave
Repeat after me

Boston....look deep into my ring flash

Boston

When you wake up on 3 you will say

Samuiel Adams Beer I need to get to


Boston lol

you promised me going back 2 years

June 8, 2010 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Cailin said...

Another vote for Columbia, please. I have soprano and alto and tenor and bass friends (lots) if you're into singers. And pipers - I'd love to see what you could do with a peck of pipes. And the players, too, all dressed up in their uniforms.
Just sayin' that I've got something to bring to the table if you need persuading...

June 8, 2010 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger Hugh Talman Photography said...

If this is what I think it is, it is without a doubt one of the most fantastic applications of lighting there is, I use it (or something like it) here at the Smithsonian

June 8, 2010 at 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad you couldn't have come the following weekend so that you an Joe McNally could have been in town the same night.

June 8, 2010 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger KlineTimes said...

Are there any plans for either Nashville or Phoenix? I would LOVE to attend!

-Christi

June 8, 2010 at 6:09 PM  
Anonymous Dave said...

Or, as the man might say, how about a glimpse of the upcoming tour schedule. I've got vacation to burn, and no particular place to go...

June 8, 2010 at 8:39 PM  
Blogger Aaron Brown said...

A tour schedule would be awesome! I'd love to see you in Chicago sometime. Cheers!

June 8, 2010 at 8:52 PM  
Blogger David Hobby said...

My only other date on the schedule is Denver, Aug 7th. (Not open for registration yet.)

June 8, 2010 at 9:37 PM  
Blogger diegonyc said...

the bay area awaits mr strobist.

June 9, 2010 at 12:43 AM  
Blogger Darin said...

Just signed up. See you then!

June 9, 2010 at 1:03 AM  
Blogger P. Coppinger said...

David, I'm a long-time lurker and am psyched that you will be coming to Denver in August. Consider me signed up! Thanks for all the great education.

June 9, 2010 at 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so there. Just signed up.

June 10, 2010 at 12:12 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

I was at the Edinburgh seminar a couple of weeks ago (the lady with the piercings). It was a great day, sign up if you can.

June 10, 2010 at 3:50 AM  
Anonymous Richard said...

I 2nd boston ... or boston suburbs (newton, waltham, dedham ...)

June 10, 2010 at 8:10 AM  
Anonymous Trish said...

I'd come to a Strobist workshop in Boston in a second! Or NYC, Maine, anyplace in the Northeast. Please plan one!!!

June 10, 2010 at 9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only if it wasn't on Sunday, I'd have registered in a blink of an eye.

June 10, 2010 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Ian Hay said...

David, you need to come to Toronto, if ONLY to give me a rare opportunity to throw money at you for the irreplaceable value add you've given my extra-curricular life over the last two years.

Now I'm even considering flying to Portland, or Denver, or wherever you may go next, just to do that.

June 10, 2010 at 3:58 PM  
Blogger David Hobby said...

Don't fly -- Toronto is on the list!

June 10, 2010 at 5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could afford it. :-/

June 10, 2010 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger Ken Mott said...

Too b ad this is the weekend of my wedding anniversary. If we end up doing things a different weekend i plan to go.

June 10, 2010 at 6:23 PM  
Blogger Jason V said...

Argh! Wasn't watching the blog and missed it! One of the few times something comes to Portland! :(

June 11, 2010 at 6:37 AM  
Blogger Frozen Forever Photography said...

Dame, I missed this one by a mile. I am sure it sold out in a few seconds. Make another trip soon, if you can:)

Grady

June 11, 2010 at 12:38 PM  
Blogger Blackfish said...

So I was ready to book it yesterday, then decided I had better ask the wife, who was working... Put me on the list if there is one. Also, how about Seattle?
--Randy

June 11, 2010 at 2:34 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

I second the seattle suggestion -- I saw this and was completely ready to drive down to portland but its now closed registration.

Put me on a waitlist too, if you have one!

June 11, 2010 at 3:11 PM  
Blogger Michie said...

I'll vote for San Francisco / bay area

June 13, 2010 at 8:45 PM  
Anonymous Jeff said...

Also interested in a wait list if there is one.

June 14, 2010 at 8:30 PM  
Blogger Lance Koudele said...

I'd love to be on the waitlist! I'll even show up at 9am if there is a no show.
lance at ionimagery.com

June 15, 2010 at 3:42 PM  
Blogger Kevin N said...

Also if there ends up being a waitlist I'm interested.

June 17, 2010 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger David Hobby said...

Sorry folks, but no wait list at this point. I used to do them, and they were far more of a headache and last-min worry that they merited.

Lesson learned on my end...

-DH

June 27, 2010 at 6:08 PM  
Blogger Erik Bishoff said...

Bummer...

"sign up early"

...lesson learned on my end!

June 28, 2010 at 4:06 PM  
Blogger Retailgeek said...

Please add me to the waitlist for Portland as well. I'm a fan of the site and just noticed you'll be in town.

Thanks!

June 29, 2010 at 12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home